[Devel] Q: hardcoded parameters and restrictions

Kirill Korotaev dev at openvz.org
Tue Aug 22 04:06:56 PDT 2006

Hello Dmitry,

> Hi,
>
> vzctl contains a few hardcoded parameters and restrictions which need to be
> converted into configurable vps.conf parameters.
> In particular, I mean HOME and PATH environment variables,
do you mean HOME and PATH which are provided to VPS init?
mmm, probably can be made configurable from vps.conf
do you think it is required?

> allowed fs types (e.g. sysfs) -
sysfs was disabled for 2.6.8 kernels (by default)
only due to unreclaimable sysfs memory which took
about ~0.5-1Mb of RAM per VE.

It will be enabled for newer kernels by default.

> all these parameters should be easy to implement.

> kernel space also contains hardcoded stuff.
> There is a flag to enable/disable sysfs within container, but I found no
> normal way to disable /proc.
because sysfs was done disabled by default for memory consumption reason :/
/proc has no this problem and is always enabled.

> Also, it seems to be no way to disable devices listed in default_minor_perms.
applications do not work w/o /dev/null and others at all :)

> Set of files added to virtualized /proc is also hardcoded, I found no way
> to e.g. add /proc/devices file required for some third party software.
this one is really the most usefull imho.

in general you are right, many of these can be generalized and made
more tunable. Will appreciate any help on this and will do my best
to help and discuss what and how is needed.

Thanks,
Kirill