[Devel] OpenVZ and Virtuozzo

Kir Kolyshkin kir at openvz.org
Fri Apr 7 15:50:03 PDT 2006

Matt Ayres wrote:

> Kirill Korotaev wrote:
>
>>> In my current understanding, Virtuozzo for Linux and OpenVZ is
>>> almost same,
>>> except two points. One is admistration tools. The other is live
>>> migration.
>>
>> Virtuozzo also has much more command line tools, traffic accounting,
>> bandwidth management, === VPS migration ===, more complicated and
>> efficient template management and much much more features out of the
>> box. So I can't say Virtuozzo is the SAME. it is _product_. And
>> OpenVZ is a free core.
>>

> Note in-between the ==='s, and then...
>
>>> But, OpenVZ will get live migration soon. Right?
>>
>> yep.
>>

> So, OpenVZ will not support migration, but it will support live
> migration is what you're saying (it is what I read)? Or are you just
> so used to saying Virtuozzo has migration and OpenVZ doesn't that it
> is permanently etched into your brain?

Matt,

Apparently either you got it wrong, or Kirill was a bit unclear in what
he said. The facts are: (1) yes, OpenVZ [currently] does not have live
(or any other) VPS migration, while Virtuozzo does. But (2) this will
change real soon when we will release live migration code kernel and
tools for OpenVZ later this month.

As you can see, (1) is not contradicting with (2) from the logic standpoint.

Speaking of "off-line" migration -- definitely support from kernel is
not needed for that, you just do scp or rsync [of VE private area and
config file], so it is "available" from OpenVZ in pretty much the same
way as, say, functionality of copying files over the network is
available from literally any Linux distro. Still, OpenVZ does not
include some script to do that migration, you have to run
rsync/scp/whatever manually, so, technically speaking, there are no
tools for VE migration in OpenVZ.

Speaking of live migration -- this functionality is one of the major new
features in Virtuozzo 3.0, and SWsoft now opens it up for the benefit of
the open source/free software community. This, I hope, demonstrates that
those folks at SWsoft has a stong and consistent level of commitment
towards the open source and OpenVZ in particular.

I hope you got it right this time. I also hope Kirill will be more
accurate/descriptive in the future to avoid any confusion of the kind.

Any remaining questions/concerns -- please ask and I'll be happy to
clarify/comment.

Regards,
  Kir, OpenVZ project lead.