[Debian] Re: Possible support for openvz also in the next version of stable

Ben Hutchings ben at decadent.org.uk
Wed Jan 25 21:35:44 EST 2012

I thought we had declared both OpenVZ and VServer as deprecated in
squeeze, but I misremembered - in fact only VServer was deprecated.
Therefore I think we need to make a decision regarding OpenVZ in wheezy,
fairly soon; then, if we do not reinstate it, we must announce that
decision.

If OpenVZ is to be included in wheezy, the OpenVZ project and some
Debian developer must be prepared to support it on a baseline of 3.2.y
until the end of 2015 (and also support 2.6.32.y until the end of 2013).
If you cannot do this then it may be that you can serve Debian users
better by providing your own APT repository and kernel packages.  The
Debian kernel team can probably provide you some help with setting that
up.

The current status of OpenVZ support for 2.6.32.y is that the git
repository (git://git.openvz.org/pub/linux-2.6.32-openvz) has not been
updated for 10 months.  The longterm updates 2.6.32.29 and 2.6.32.47
included major cfq and scheduler changes that conflicted with OpenVZ;
these have had to be reverted for Debian's OpenVZ flavour.  All we have
had in that time is, I think, 5 bugfix patches.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Horngren's Observation: