[Debian] Re: Possible support for openvz also in the next version of stable

Ben Hutchings ben at decadent.org.uk
Tue Nov 1 19:07:48 EDT 2011

On Tue, Nov 01, 2011 at 09:16:48PM +0100, Ola Lundqvist wrote:
> Hi kernel maintainers
>
> I'm the maintainer of vzctl and vzquota in Debian and would like to bring
> openvz kernel support up for discussion. I saw that a few of the openvz bugs
> on the kernel have been closed with the reason that it is no longer supported
> in wheezy. This is fully true and I do not object to the close of the reports.
>
> What I would like to bring up for discussion is what would be required from
> the openvz project to get back the support for openvz in the Debian kernel
> again for the next stable release.
[...]

As a necessary (but not sufficient) condition, you and the OpenVZ
project would have to support OpenVZ in the *current* Debian stable
release.  The last release based on 2.6.32.y was made in March.  For
our OpenVZ kernel configurations we had to revert all the scheduler
fixes made in 2.6.32.29 due to conflicts which we obviously do not
have the necessary knowledge to resolve.

It seems to me that the OpenVZ project does not support longterm
releases other than RHEL.  That's fine by me, just so long as no-one
pretends otherwise.

And all the above was previously discussed in
<http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.devel.kernel/71880/focus=71908>.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings