[Debian] Question about the changed kernel

Ola Lundqvist ola at inguza.com
Tue Mar 15 14:15:48 EDT 2011

Hi

On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 01:36:27AM +0800, shule ney wrote:
>    Hi,ola, thanks for your help, but what is "initial install" and "post
>    install", do I have to recompile the kernel?

With initial install I was referring to when you install the computer
the first time. Typically that is done by inserting a CD/DVD in the
machine and then follow the instructions.

By post install I ment anytime after the initial install.

No you do not need to recompile any kernel. The openvz kernel is
available in Debian and is installed with the instructions I gave
below.

Best regards,

// Ola

>    2011/3/15 Ola Lundqvist <[1]opal at debian.org>
>
>      Hi
>      You can not install the openvz patched kernel during initial
>      install.
>      However it is very easy to install it post-install.
>      apt-get install linux-image-2.6-openvz-686 (if you are using 686
>      CPU)
>      apt-get install linux-image-2.6-openvz-amd64 (if you are using amd64
>      CPU)
>      And then you need vzctl as well
>      apt-get install vzctl
>      Hope this was a good answer for you. There is no need to patch any
>      kernel
>      as the kernel team have already done that for you. This was even
>      true
>      for the last stable release. :-)
>      Best regards,
>      // Ola
>
>    On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 02:50:38AM -0500, shule ney wrote:
>    >    Hi,all. I got a question about the kernel: I changed the linux
>    kernel
>    >    due to some reason, I know using Openvz has to patch the kernel
>    before.
>    >    But this is the history, now can I use Openvz upon my changed
>    kernel
>    >    with the regular installation process, is there anything I should
>    do??
>    >    Thanks very much to reply.
>    >
>    >
>    >
>    >    Best Regards
>    >
>    >    gene

>      > Debian mailing list
>      > [2]Debian at openvz.org
>      --
>      /  [4]opal at debian.org                     Annebergsslingan 37      \
>      |  [5]ola at inguza.com                      654 65 KARLSTAD          |
>      |  [6]http://inguza.com/                  +46 (0)70-332 1551       |
>      \  gpg/f.p.: 7090 A92B 18FE 7994 0C36  4FE4 18A1 B1CF 0FE5 3DD9 /

/  ola at inguza.com                    Annebergsslingan 37        \
|  opal at debian.org                   654 65 KARLSTAD            |
|  http://inguza.com/                Mobile: +46 (0)70-332 1551 |
\  gpg/f.p.: 7090 A92B 18FE 7994 0C36 4FE4 18A1 B1CF 0FE5 3DD9  /