[Debian] [neilm@debian.org: Bits from the Release Team - minutes (pt 1), retrospective, time based freezes and more!]

Ola Lundqvist opal at debian.org
Thu Jun 30 07:56:48 EDT 2011

Hi OpenVZ people

Next planned freeze date for Debian is June 2012.

Quote from below:
"
Its main advantage seems to be the clarity that people will get knowing
when we will freeze. For this reason, we need to pick a date. This is
one that not everyone will be happy with, and caused quite a bit of
discussion. However, we had to make a decision, and have picked on June
2012 as the current proposed freeze date for the next release.

Good plans are never perfect though. "Time-based freezes" have
downsides. There is the possibility that we may not be in a good
position to freeze when the date approaches. Please keep in mind that
releasing is shared task, not purely the responsibility of the release
team.

If this doesn't work for whatever reason, we'll look at this again, but
for the moment we'd like to try this for the next release. To avoid
surprises, we'll send reminders about the coming freeze in (almost)
every bits mail. We'll also start making use of BTS tags before the
freeze date, and encouraging people to squash RC bugs before we freeze.

Note the above: we hope to FREEZE IN JUNE 2012.
"

// Ola

----- Forwarded message from Neil McGovern <neilm at debian.org> -----