[Debian] Strategy for Debian

Ola Lundqvist ola at inguza.com
Sat Jul 30 17:12:16 EDT 2011

Hi Kir

I have been informed that the Debian kernel team have dropped
the openvz support from Debian for next release. That release
will be frozen sometime in 2012 so we have time to handle this.

I would like to discuss what strategy we should have to get it
included again.

One obvious reason for the dropped support is that openvz do
not (to my knowledge at least) support the latest version of
the kernel used by the Debian Kernel team.

One problem is that the person that have handled openvz
in the Kernel team in the past seems to be - how should I put it -
not very happy with the openvz project. I do not fully understand
the angry feelings but that is obviously the case. So this is
something that we needs to handle in some way or another.

I have a few suggestions:
1) The openvz project obviously need to support the Kernel version
 that Debian plans to use. You have been very good at providing
 that support in the past so I assume it should not be a big
 problem, right?

2) The next thing is how we approach the Kernel team. Do you want
 to contact them as openvz project manager or do you want me to
 handle that?

3) We will likely need to support the Kernel team more than in
 the past. I have no problem to step in to do more work here.

4) One thing that we need to have as well is good arguments
 why we should have openvz support now when there is both Xen
 and KVM support natively in the Kernel. I think openvz have
 a number of good benefits but here I think I need some help from
 you to summarize this as you are more into the details than I am.

Best regards,

// Ola

/  ola at inguza.com                    Annebergsslingan 37        \
|  opal at debian.org                   654 65 KARLSTAD            |
|  http://inguza.com/                Mobile: +46 (0)70-332 1551 |
\  gpg/f.p.: 7090 A92B 18FE 7994 0C36 4FE4 18A1 B1CF 0FE5 3DD9  /