[Debian] Re: [max@stro.at: Debian linux-2.6 Paris meeting]

Ola Lundqvist ola at inguza.com
Fri Nov 12 02:34:49 EST 2010

Hi Kir

Quoting "Kir Kolyshkin" <kir at openvz.org>:
> Ola,
>
> Thanks a lot for letting us know.
>
> Can you explain what it means "OpenVZ can't anymore do checkpointing
> since 2.6.18".

I have no clue. I was about to ask you actually if you knew anything
about this.
I did not attend to that meeting so I have not been part of the discussions.

> (this quote is from metting minutes). Are there any open bugs for
> OpenVZ checkpointing
> in Debian?

Yes, but that one is much older than that. It was due to a specific
ethernet board.

> Do you think I should ask Debian kernel people directly?

Yes I think so. But wait a day or two before I have got (if I get any)
response on my question that I sent today.

Best regards,

// Ola

> On 11/12/2010 09:01 AM, Ola Lundqvist wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Please read the announcement below. It looks like there is a
>> decision to not support openvz kernels in Debian after next Debian
>> release.
>>
>> Today I have asked for clarification on this.
>>
>> Some more background is available here:
>> http://lists.debian.org/debian-kernel/2010/11/msg00215.html
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> // Ola
>>
>> ----- Forwarded message from maximilian attems<max at stro.at>  -----

>> From: maximilian attems<max at stro.at>
>> To: debian-devel-announce at lists.debian.org
>> Subject: Debian linux-2.6 Paris meeting
>>

>> The Debian kernel Team met in Paris during the Paris mini-Debconf,
>> as we did last year in Portland at Linux Plumbers 2009.
>> Not only did we release 2.6.32-27 "We'll Always Have Paris".
>>

>> A short summary of this productive meeting is:
>>
>> * No virtualisation feature images for Wheezy:
>>   KVM, Linux Containers and Xen are all to be in default linux-2.6.
>>
>> * We decided to finally use git immediately after the Squeeze release.
>>
>> * `make deb-pkg' sees further uptake and will see further enhancements.
>>
>> * We appeal for an interested maintainer to have RT images in Debian.
>>
>> * External intrusive patches such as Fedora's NX emulation will not be
>>   accepted before they go upstream.
>>
>> * No additional LSM module without built in cost reduction.
>>
>> * Investigation of automated testing: There is a need for a Debian
>>   infrastructure for automatic linux-2.6 build and boot testing.
>>
>> * Work needed for better d-i (Debian Installer) linux-2.6 module generation.
>>
>> * Work needed to debloat current full image to a sensible default.
>>
>> * initramfs-tools has stable MODULES=dep for squeeze.
>>   klibc ipconfig has fixes for large cluster netbooting.
>>
>> * Almost all of Debian patches are upstream in 2.6.37.
>>   Only minor stuff needs upstreaming.
>>
>> The long story can be found here:
>> http://lists.debian.org/debian-kernel/2010/11/msg00215.html
>>
>> happy hacking

/  ola at inguza.com                    Annebergsslingan 37        \
|  opal at debian.org                   654 65 KARLSTAD            |
|  http://inguza.com/                Mobile: +46 (0)70-332 1551 |
\  gpg/f.p.: 7090 A92B 18FE 7994 0C36 4FE4 18A1 B1CF 0FE5 3DD9  /