[Debian] Re: lenny updates (netfilter)

Ola Lundqvist ola at inguza.com
Sat Mar 14 12:40:39 EDT 2009

Hi Kir

Thanks for the list. I have now made some work to apply this.
Below are some comments.

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 02:00:39AM +0300, Kir Kolyshkin wrote:
> Kir Kolyshkin wrote:
> >I am currently checking all the ~80 patches that are not in openvz
> >lenny kernel. Looks like most are really needed. Let me suggest some
> >in a few emails I will send as a reply to this one.
>
> Here is a set of netfilter patches, quite a few. Some are very critical
> (read security-related) since they fix various container/host isolation
> issues, others are to prevent kernel oopses...
>
> http://git.openvz.org/?p=linux-2.6.26-openvz;a=commitdiff;h=8562975430153848dd817a050133b53adda96910
> nf: fix use after free
> Fix use after free error, found by internal testing. Not an ABI breaker.
> Attached as 0010*

Already in the debian openvz patch.

> http://git.openvz.org/?p=linux-2.6.26-openvz;a=commitdiff;h=fa7ac0b2423dc741cd7016565545abb8e36c4af4
> nf: fix call to kmem_cache_destroy from VEs
> Found by internal testing. Not an ABI breaker.
> Attached as 0011*

And this one as well.

> http://git.openvz.org/?p=linux-2.6.26-openvz;a=commitdiff;h=17b09e1de42db77743ea9ae3dfd3a910ac57ee71
> conntrack: prevent double allocate/free of protos
> Found by internal testing. Not an ABI breaker.
> Attached as 0022*

The double alloc should not be too much of a problem (or?), but the double free, I assume, can result
in real problems, right?

> http://git.openvz.org/?p=linux-2.6.26-openvz;a=commitdiff;h=7d3f10fc5d8e268f7572cfdd2287c049bce3af7c
> conntrack: prevent call register_pernet_subsys() from VE context
> Found by internal audit. Not an ABI breaker.
> Attached as 0023*

Security issue!

> http://git.openvz.org/?p=linux-2.6.26-openvz;a=commitdiff;h=482dd20be37f61b2f94e6b3f3de1c1b9b4f9e6f1
> conntrack: prevent call nf_register_hooks() from VE context
> Found by internal audit. Not an ABI breaker.
> Attached as 0024*

Security issue!

> http://git.openvz.org/?p=linux-2.6.26-openvz;a=commitdiff;h=5fff3eb60f78acaadcae8562de5d3e6504f4d4f9
> conntrack: adjust context during freeing
> Found by internal audit. Not an ABI breaker.
> Attached as 0029*

Security issue!

> http://git.openvz.org/?p=linux-2.6.26-openvz;a=commitdiff;h=3cb8bc3781889ade74c02840b2eb8ddafb6d39c5
> netfilter: NAT: assign nf_nat_seq_adjust_hook from VE0 context only
> Found by internal audit. Not an ABI breaker.
> Attached as 0033*

Security issue!

> http://git.openvz.org/?p=linux-2.6.26-openvz;a=commitdiff;h=490910232ebe61f65e5e5c03b7286f11291b6092
> netfilter: call nf_register_hooks from VE0 context only
> Found by internal audit. Not an ABI breaker.
> Attached as 0034*

Security issue!

> http://git.openvz.org/?p=linux-2.6.26-openvz;a=commitdiff;h=1acba8533b788e95c52f827d06d9629d672c80fc
> netfilter: Fix NULL dereference in nf_nat_setup_info.
> OpenVZ Bug #1051 (http://bugzilla.openvz.org/1051). Might be an ABI breaker.
> Attached as 0047*

Security issue!

> http://git.openvz.org/?p=linux-2.6.26-openvz;a=commitdiff;h=b405aed753ac48a46e66cccfd0a37006fd11feb8
> netfilter: Add check to the nat hooks
> OpenVZ Bug #1051 (http://bugzilla.openvz.org/1051). Might be an ABI breaker.
> Attached as 0048*

Is it this part that you are worried about for the ABI breakage?

 	/* After packet filtering, change source */
 	{
-		.hook		= nf_nat_fn,
+		.hook		= nf_nat_local_in,
 		.owner		= THIS_MODULE,
 		.pf		= PF_INET,
 		.hooknum	= NF_INET_LOCAL_IN,
--

> http://git.openvz.org/?p=linux-2.6.26-openvz;a=commitdiff;h=b5e1f74cee5bc2c45bdca53a7218fb8de89215dd
> netlink: Fix oops in netlink conntrack module
> OpenVZ bug #788 (http://bugzilla.openvz.org/788)
> Attached as 0053*

Already applied by Dann some days ago.

> http://git.openvz.org/?p=linux-2.6.26-openvz;a=commitdiff;h=09686c184a2cb815cbd5af500fe468311887d746
> Free skb->nf_bridge in veth_xmit() and venet_xmit()
> OpenVZ bug #1146 (http://bugzilla.openvz.org/1146)
> Attached as 0066*

This one is important because it worked in 2.6.24.

Best regards,

// Ola

/  ola at inguza.com                    Annebergsslingan 37        \
|  opal at debian.org                   654 65 KARLSTAD            |
|  http://inguza.com/                Mobile: +46 (0)70-332 1551 |
\  gpg/f.p.: 7090 A92B 18FE 7994 0C36 4FE4 18A1 B1CF 0FE5 3DD9  /