[CRIU] GSoC 2021

Zeyad Yasser zeyady98 at gmail.com
Tue May 18 13:43:15 MSK 2021

Hi Everyone,

My name is Zeyad @zeyadyasser, a CS undergrad at Cairo University. I am very
grateful to have been accepted this year in CRIU. I will be working on "Using
eBPF to
<https://criu.org/Google_Summer_of_Code_Ideas#Use_eBPF_to_lock_and_unlock_the_network>
lock/unlock the network"
<https://criu.org/Google_Summer_of_Code_Ideas#Use_eBPF_to_lock_and_unlock_the_network>
under
the mentorship of @rst0git.

I took interest in CRIU over the last year and have been tinkering with the
code base
ever since. I learned a lot about Linux internals because of CRIU and I am
really
grateful for the help and feedback I got from the maintainers. I was able
to make
some contributions to CRIU and P.Haul during this time.

I divided the project into phases:

- Learn RTNETLINK & eBPF assembly
- Design execution flow in CRIU
- Implement network-wide locking/unlocking
- Implement per-socket locking/unlocking
- Testing
- Documentation

The details of the approach and phases could be found in my proposal
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/10tciq4ErZwphUIWkgj-IlHFBNZdHqBfjwn74l2V7tRM/edit?usp=sharing>
.

I believe I should start with learning how to use the RTNETLINK interface
to load traffic
control BPF programs as this is essential to all other phases of the
project.

I was wondering where I should document my progress? In the mailing list?
Gitter? My blog?

I am once again *insert meme here* thanking you for such a great
opportunity :)

Thanks,
Zeyad Yasser