[CRIU] Do we need a pool of maintainers?

Radostin Stoyanov rstoyanov1 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 11 13:11:08 MSK 2020

On 10/01/2020 12:56, Adrian Reber wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 09, 2020 at 10:06:01AM -0800, Andrei Vagin wrote:
>> I have been maintaining the CRIU project for a few years, but I feel a
>> lack of motivation to continue doing this.
> Andrei, I think you are doing a very good job to make sure the quality
> of CRIU stays high. Thanks for your work. I am always amazed at what you
> detect in your reviews. I can also understand that at some point it is
> difficult to get motivated.
I completely agree with Adrian, you are doing a very good job in keeping
the quality of CRIU high, your work is a cornerstone that enables many
of the features supported today, and your comments in code reviews are
invaluable.

>> I don't want to slow down
>> the project, so I think we need to change something. I would like to
>> suggest to switch to a scheme which is used in the runc project:
>> https://github.com/opencontainers/runc/blob/master/MAINTAINERS_GUIDE.md
>>
>> TLTR: A pull request can be merged only if all comments have been
>> resolved and it has been approved by two maintainers.
>>
>> What do you think?
> Great idea! Let's hope that we can keep the quality as high as you did.
It makes sense for a pull request to be approved by two maintainers and
for all comments to have been resolved before it can be merged. I also
think the role of the chief maintainer is very important, especially for
large decisions and architecture changes.

Radostin