[CRIU] Soft dirty pages in expanded VMA

Diyu Zhou zhoudiyupku at gmail.com
Tue May 14 02:10:54 MSK 2019

Hey,

Firstly, thanks for the great tool! It is very very helpful. I can see the
development of such a tool
is very challenging and you guys do several clever tricks to make it
possible. I enjoy a lot using
the tool as well as reading the source code and have learned a lot from it.

I have a question regarding the implementation of the soft dirty pages.
>From what I can tell, if
a VMA is expanded, all the pages within it will be marked as soft dirty.
This seems to me will
result in unnecessarily transferring clean pages when iterative dumps are
performed.
Is there any reason not just mark the pages in the expanded part of the VMA
soft dirty?

Thanks again for the wonderful tool and your help!

Best,
Diyu