[CRIU] [GSoC 2019] Interested in CRIU project

Adrian Reber areber at redhat.com
Wed Mar 13 17:44:31 MSK 2019

On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 02:26:27PM +0000, Pavel Emelianov wrote:
> On 3/13/19 11:10 AM, Adrian Reber wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 09:14:47PM -0700, James Cui wrote:
> >> Thanks Pavel and Adrian for the answers!
> >> One question though. For the go implementation of CRIT, will it live in the
> >> same repo of CRIU or some other repo (For example, I create my own repo in
> >> github)?
> >> I asked because I saw a repo called go-CRIU, is this the place all go
> >> implementation should be?
> >
> > I think it should live in the go-criu repository. I think it should be a
> > library which can be used by the new CRIT implementation but also be
> > used by other projects which need to read or write CRIU image files.
>
> Now a question from me :) Do we want to continue maintaining both criu
> libs -- go anf py -- or make py version call the go one?

Good question. Not sure.

I think we need a go version at some point, so it makes sense to have
it. For LXD precopy migration I already implemented some image file
reading into LXD and it would make sense to maintain the image file
manipulation for Go in one place. But if it is maintained in the go-criu
repository it will not be automatically available for anyone checking
out CRIU. Which currently is really nice, you check out CRIU and you
have (python) CRIT for debugging.

On the other hand if we have Go CRIT, which is also embedded into other
projects, it does not make sense to keep the Python CRIT libraries.

I guess we wait if it works as good as the Python version or better and
decide then how we want to use it.

		Adrian