[CRIU] on GSOC proposal

Anastasia Markina asyamarkina2 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 12 23:59:00 MSK 2019

Helllo,

My name is Anastasia Markina. I'm currently a computer science master
degree student at Brest State Technical University (Belarus) and have
previously studied applied informatics in Sergiyev-Posad branch of VGIK
(Russia). For the past four years, I have been actively involved in the
open source community. In particular, I am a co-organizer of the LVEE
conference (http://lvee.org) - a central FLOSS event in Belarus and one of
the largest general-topic Linux-related regular conferences in
Russian-speaking countries. In addition, I regularly participate as a
speaker and/or listener in a number of other events related to Linux, such
as OSSEDUCONF and OSSDEVCONF (Alt Linux conferences in Pereslavl and
Kaluga) and Linux Piter.

My programming skills cover C (with some limited knowledge of the Linux
kernel - I give lab classes and course projects on programming Linux kernel
modules at the university along with my master degree study, but students
are taught not very complicated things), C++/Qt, C#, relational and
non-relational databases, and Python, and some more exotic languages like
Perl (save me God from programming on it again). My own open source project
is a free/libre software suite for parallel usability testing,
https://bitbucket.org/AsyaAliset/uxdump), which is currently used in Brest
State Technical University, it is written in C++ with several Python
scripts.

Of course, I often use virtual machines — mostly desktop, because my main
systems are Archlinux (it just happened) and Ubuntu (at least this one is
more girlish), and virtualized Windows with snapshots saves me a lot of
time. Container virtualization is not something I use every day except
indirect use on a web server, but I know about OpenVZ and CRIU. Actually,
this is because I’m the one who makes the LaTeX typesetting of the LVEE
book of abstracts, and Pavel Emelyanov had a talk about CRIU in 2015… also,
Andrew Vagin had one in 2013, which was before I joined LVEE, but still I
had to re-create the book because of someone from the organization board
who lost the previously saved one… mankind shouldn’t know who it was, so I
will be silent).

So when I got information about CRIU-related GSOC projects, I thought that
it would be great to participate. I think two ideas on
https://criu.org/Google_Summer_of_Code_Ideas are good for my skills:
Optimize logging engine (I know about binary logs from my MySQL experience,
so implementing such thing looks like a good job to do) or Anonymise image
files (it looks like an easy thing, maybe too easy?).

I would be happy to add my five cents into the open source virtualization
technologies, and I would be grateful for any advice on these two topics
that I think I am more familiar with.

Thanks in advance!