[CRIU] github pull-requests

Andrei Vagin (C) avagin at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 10:53:03 MSK 2018

On Tue, Nov 20, 2018 at 02:43:43PM +0000, Pavel Emelianov wrote:
> On 11/20/2018 11:22 AM, Andrei Vagin wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > On the Linux Plumbers Conference, I heard a few requests to start
> > accepting github pull-requests. Then we discussed this on the first
> > official criu hackathon and it looks like there were no objections. I
> > know that many of you were not able to be there, so I decided to start
> > this thread where you can share thoughts about the subject.
> >
> > Pros:
> > * It is easier to create a pull-requests than send a patch. Stop,
> > stop, stop. Don't laugh. You did this many times, but for a new
> > contributor, it is a real problem.
> > * We can remove all our machinery, what is used validate patches.
>
> Why? Patches validation is crucial, it should not be removed but rather
> be integrated into PR validation. There's integration with travis tests,
> but AFAIR full validation that's run over ML patches is much bigger
> than the travis one.

We run only travis tests to validate patches. Jenkins jobs are running
only for criu-dev and master. The problem is that all jenkins jobs are
running with root privileges, so it would be easy to send a patch which
will destroy our jenkins workers.

> > Cons:
> > * The standard workflow is changed for people who read patches in the
> > mailing list.
> > * No multi-thread discussions

> > Questions:
> > 1. Should we start accepting github pull requests?
> > 2. Should we stop accepting patches from a mailing list?
> > 3. Can we do both?
> > 4. Which path should be a preferred one?
> > 5. Do we need a robot which will send github pull-requests into the
> > mailing list?
> > https://github.com/google/pull-request-mailer
> > 6. Do we need a robot which will create github pull-requests from patch series?
> > 7. Should we sync comments between the mailing list and github?
>
> I see e-mail notifications coming from github on PRs. I've never tried to
> respond on any of it :) Isn't it supposed to work "out of the box"?

Yes, it works. But github doesn't send patches in these notifications,
so if you want to comment a specific line in a code, you will need to
open a browser.

> > 8. Who wants to implement 5., 6. and 7.?
> >
> > My answers:
> > 1. yes
> > 2. no
> > 3. yes
>
> Doing both looks like a challenging experiment :)

I'm afraid that current members of our comunity will not review patches
on github. We all read emails each day and it is easy to take a quick
look at what is going on in the mailing list. Opening a browser is
another step which is easy to skip.