[CRIU] github pull-requests

Andrei Vagin avagin at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 11:22:21 MSK 2018

Hello,

On the Linux Plumbers Conference, I heard a few requests to start
accepting github pull-requests. Then we discussed this on the first
official criu hackathon and it looks like there were no objections. I
know that many of you were not able to be there, so I decided to start
this thread where you can share thoughts about the subject.

Pros:
* It is easier to create a pull-requests than send a patch. Stop,
stop, stop. Don't laugh. You did this many times, but for a new
contributor, it is a real problem.
* We can remove all our machinery, what is used validate patches.

Cons:
* The standard workflow is changed for people who read patches in the
mailing list.
* No multi-thread discussions

Questions:
1. Should we start accepting github pull requests?
2. Should we stop accepting patches from a mailing list?
3. Can we do both?
4. Which path should be a preferred one?
5. Do we need a robot which will send github pull-requests into the
mailing list?
https://github.com/google/pull-request-mailer
6. Do we need a robot which will create github pull-requests from patch series?
7. Should we sync comments between the mailing list and github?
8. Who wants to implement 5., 6. and 7.?

My answers:
1. yes
2. no
3. yes