[CRIU] The progress of Time namespace

Eric W. Biederman ebiederm at xmission.com
Mon Jun 4 06:05:34 MSK 2018

yukon <yukon at apache.org> writes:

> Hi, Eric
>
> Let's consider a very simple case in Java world:
>
> ```
> Thread.sleep(1);
> ```
>
> The sleep method may be trapped If the restore machine has a smaller
> boot time, the method returned after twenty minutes in my two
> machines. Moreover, the blocking method with a timeout, the schedule
> thread pool also won't work as expected.

Knowing which linux system calls underly Thread.sleep(1) would help.

I would expect clock_nanosleep or nanosleep to be the underlying system
call but if something slept for 20 minutes it does not sound like it.

Of course blocking for twenty minutes could simply be a CRIU bug as
well.

But barring CRIU bugs a Thread.sleep(1) becoming a 20 minute sleep in
java does sound like a good motivating example for a time namespace.

In the future please don't top-post it makes reading the email
discussion very very weird.

Eric