[CRIU] [PHAUL] P.Haul Lazy Migration Integration Issues

John Goen jtgoen at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 07:02:25 MSK 2018

Hello all,

I've been working sporradically on the integration of lazy migration in the
P.Haul project, and have run into a few snags that I haven't been able to
reason through.

1. No matter how I set the CRIU options in my RPC messages, none of the log
files for the different phases (be it dump, restore, etc.) are ever
populated with any messages, so I have had to do deeply hack-y workarounds
to write logs to a file. Is there some setting I am missing for actually
getting the logs to output properly?

2. I have the lazy migration process executing successfully all the way up
to the completion of the restore step, where my client then sends a final
NOTIFY request, but is waiting forever for an acknowledgement by CRIU. I am
unsure why this NOTIFY is getting ignored on the CRIU side, especially
since the equivalent NOTIFY's for pre-copy migration are all resolving.

Note: I have not pulled in any of the recent updates to CRIU since my last
correspondence somewhere after development of CRIU 3.7, so if there have
been any fixes that would be relevant, I would appreciate any input on this.

My code I've been working on lives here (https://github.com/jtgoen/criu-fork),
with the majority of my edits residing in the following:
    Main driving code with logic for dumping, restoring, etc:
https://github.com/jtgoen/criu-fork/blob/criu-dev/phaul/src/test/main.go
    Where the client and server code live: https://github.com/jtgoen/
criu-fork/tree/criu-dev/phaul/src/phaul
    Core interaction with CRIU: https://github.com/jtgoen/
criu-fork/blob/criu-dev/lib/go/src/criu/main.go
    Handling of lazy migration RPC: https://github.com/jtgoen/
criu-fork/blob/criu-dev/criu/cr-service.c

I apologize if the help requests on this are too vague, as I've been
working on this for quite a while and am unsure exactly where to start when
describing my problem. I will gladly answer any clarifying questions on
this to the best of my ability.

Thank you,
John Goen