[CRIU] Help dumping and restoring a process

Radostin Stoyanov rstoyanov1 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 18 13:45:37 MSK 2018

Hi Jose,

On 18/08/18 03:32, Jose Atiles wrote:
> Hi, I'm interested in using criu to do debugging in games, saving a
> checkpoint to recreate bugs. Also to provide saving to games who do
> not have this feature.
> My end target is saving a game that is being executed with wine. I'm
> currently using Linux mint 19 Mate 19.

It would be easier if you run the application/game you want to
checkpoint in a container (e.g. LXD, Docker). This will help you to get
around some limitations (e.g. PID mismatch).
You can find more information in https://criu.org/When_C/R_fails

There is a demo of live migration of a running game, but it migrates the
server side, not the client.
https://tycho.ws/blog/2015/04/lxd-live-migration.html (
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrHW7Vvbie4 )

> I have tried to dump a process but have failed.
> Also, criu check --extra says Looks good.
>
> I did a small test trying to checkpoint a calculator, a text editor
> and Firefox, but none seem to work. Can you provide me some usage
> examples? can you tell me one basic type of application which I could
> use to test CRIU?

If you want to checkpoint a GUI application you might need to use a VNC
server.
See the example in https://criu.org/VNC (
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roJ91Kqeq5w )

If you want a simple example to test CRIU, see https://criu.org/Simple_loop