[CRIU] [RFC] Dropping plugins and fxsave code

Cyrill Gorcunov gorcunov at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 23:18:23 MSK 2018

On Tue, Aug 14, 2018 at 09:33:54PM +0200, Adrian Reber wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 13, 2018 at 12:42:32PM +0300, Cyrill Gorcunov wrote:
> > Guys, while beeing rebasing various criu stuff I noted there are
> > a few things we can do to diet criu source code.
> >
> > 1) Drop plugins code. I suspect nobody use it and never used
> >    for something serious.
>
> I guess you are probably right. It was, however, always such a nice way
> how to tell people how they could add support for special hardware.
>
> I have never heard that anybody actually used it, but maybe they did in
> private.
>
> Maybe mark it deprecated for two releases before actually removing it.

Yes, we should deprecate them first for sure. As to supporting special
hardware -- there are too few entry points for plugins in current criu
code, strictly speaking good plugin architecture will require a way
more of them. I would rather say our current plugins system is rather
a concept or even PoC and since for that long time nobody proposed
any patches for them I'm pretty sure nobody use them.