[CRIU] Adding checkpoint/restore support to podman question

Adrian Reber adrian at lisas.de
Fri Apr 6 18:50:49 MSK 2018

Currently I am trying to add checkpoint/restore support to podman:

https://github.com/projectatomic/libpod/pull/469

The good thing is, the basic functionality works. Right now I am trying
to setup the network in podman to place the restored processes in a
container with the same IP and I am confused by the network namespace.

I see CRIU has '--empty-ns' and '--join-ns' but I am not sure what is
needed and correct.

My plan was to let podman set up a new network namespace with the same
IP. That works. After restore I can ping the IP of the restored
container, but the restored processes are now in a different namespace
according to proc. So now I have the network namespace podman created
with a working IP address and I have the network namespace which
probably CRIU created during restore.

So right now I am confused at which levels the network namespace has to
be handled. At podman or at runc, which is called by podman? Or at
CRIU's level? Or do I tell CRIU to ignore the network namespace during
checkpoint or restore?

If anybody has an idea what the right steps are to restore the network
setup correctly that would be great! Thanks.

		Adrian