[CRIU] Need for root access? how to capture and restore user data.

Pavel Emelyanov xemul at virtuozzo.com
Tue Sep 13 08:03:52 PDT 2016

On 09/11/2016 05:13 PM, Mike Dupont wrote:
> Dear Criu Hackers,
>
> I am attempting to implement a process capture tool for the gcc to extract  compiler data that the user creates.
> I have been experimenting with  google-coredumper (produced core files that are truncated) and just creating a normal core dump (working)
> Now I am taking a try with criu, and I have gotten it to dump,
> https://github.com/h4ck3rm1k3/gcc-plugin-cpp-template/blob/master/plugin.cpp#L96
>
> but it needs root access. All I would really like is access to the memory of the program that is loadable without using gdb.
> I would like to be able to load the memory back and then use custom code to decode it with help of the programs header files.
>
> Do any of you have some tips for me ? How to get criu to work without root access (this needs to be a tool that can be used
> in the field with only access to the gcc), or how to load in a core file and attach to it without gdb?

Well, the user-mode of CRIU is something we want ourselves too :)
If you take criu-dev branch, then non-root criu is almost there, i.e. -- criu
compiled from this branch is able to dump something and restore with limitations.

We will describe this in more details here https://criu.org/User-mode soon.

As far as restoring only memory is concerned... Well, this would be called "partial
restore". This thing is only in plans, but no code for it yet :(

-- Pavel