[CRIU] Error (sk-inet.c:153): In-flight connection (l) for 4bad5

Adrian Reber adrian at lisas.de
Wed Jun 1 09:19:51 PDT 2016

On Wed, Jun 01, 2016 at 11:56:02AM +0300, Pavel Emelyanov wrote:
> On 05/31/2016 06:27 PM, Adrian Reber wrote:
> > I have a lxc container with a tomcat server and postgresql database in
> > it. The tomcat server is running an test application which connects to
> > the database, reads and modifies a field.
> >
> > I can checkpoint and restart that container most of the times. If I am
> > reloading the tomcat application in a while true; do loop with curl I
> > sometimes get a dump failure like this:
> >
> > 27112 fdinfo 50: pos: 0x               0 flags:             4002/0
> > 	Searching for socket 4bad5 (family 10.6)
> > Error (sk-inet.c:153): In-flight connection (l) for 4bad5
> > Error (cr-dump.c:1312): Dump files (pid: 27112) failed with -1
> >
> > I guess this is a TCP connection which is in a state that criu cannot
> > handle. Is that correct?
>
> Yes. This happens when a client sens SYN to server, server responds with
> SYN-ACK, but the almost-new connection hasn't yet been accept()-ed by
> server.

Thanks for the explanation. Is there any way to checkpoint a container
with such connection? Would it be possible to drop a TCP connection in
that state. I would rather see my container migrated than an error
during checkpointing. It would be 'unfortunate' for the client as the
connection establishment fails and is silently dropped, but I guess
the TCP stack will resend the packages after a timeout.

The reason I am asking this is that if the checkpoint fails because of
'In-flight connection' the error I get as a user is the same as if it
fails for another reason, which might be a real problem. If I retry the
checkpointing a few moments later it might work.

In the case of lxc-checkpoint it would be nice if lxc-checkpoint would know
that it just needs to retry it again a bit later. I guess it could also be
acceptable to drop connections in this state and hope that the clients
recover.

		Adrian