[CRIU] Releases after 2.0

Pavel Emelyanov xemul at virtuozzo.com
Wed Feb 17 04:30:20 PST 2016

Hi, guys

Some time ago I've raised a discussion about how to make new
criu releases. The main goal to achieve was to make it possible
to release newer stuff faster than once every 3 months.

So, based on your feedback, let's try the new schedule since
the 7th or March (criu-2.0). Here's my proposal.

First of all, time-driven releases are kept, dates would be
discussed (not to clash with holidays) and set in advance. For
now I propose to release every month, but the "first Monday"
will definitely not work for January and May (hits New Year
and likely hits Labor or Victory day in Russia). Maybe some
day in the middle of the month? Will there be any problems
with US/European holidays?

Next, there will be two branches -- stable and dev, all patches
get into dev first, then when we all agree that the feature is
OK (which in most of the cases includes having tests in zdtm
for one ;) and those tests pass) the patches are cherry-picked
into stable branch and get released in the closest release date.
The dev branch is then 'git rebase'-d onto new stable.

With this I will likely need the feature owner to point out the
necessary patches and help with porting them.

Also, as a side effect git pull on dev branch will effectively
recreate the whole branch after releases since the branch would
get renewed. Hope this is OK.