[CRIU] New CRIU plugin for Slurm

Manuel Rodríguez Pascual manuel.rodriguez.pascual at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 05:16:26 PDT 2016

Hi all,

After working together with CRIU developers, my team at CIEMAT has
developed a CRIU plugin from Slurm workload manager
(http://slurm.schedmd.com/slurm.html). This way, Slurm can employ this
checkpoint/restart library to perform these operations.

It is stored in my personal github account,
https://github.com/supermanue/slurm/tree/criuPlugin , as a branch of a
fairly new Slurm version.

Regarding the code, it is basically a clone of BLCR plugin modified to
CRIU requirements and functionality. It comprises:

- the plugin itself, stored in src/plugins/checkpoint/criu
- a new "--with-criu" compilation flag (plus the related files) so a
user can specify criu location if it is not the default one
- a modification in the SPANK behaviour (spank.h and plugstack.c) so a
spank plugin can get the location of the Slurm checkpoint folder
calling spank_get_item with "S_CHECKPOINT_DIR"
- some minor changes in other compilation-related files

We hope that this can be useful for the Slurm community.  Feel free to
test and use it :) And of course, any feedback (comment, criticism) is
welcome.

Thanks for your attention. Best regards,

Manuel