[CRIU] tty: Standard stream is not a terminal, aborting

Manuel Rodríguez Pascual manuel.rodriguez.pascual at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 02:55:50 PDT 2016

Hi all,

I am working on the integration of CRIU with a resource manager (RM).
It has similarities with the P.haul project, but this cannot be
directly used due to the internal architecture of the RM.

At this moment I am able to save the job status. however I keep having
issues when restoring.

In this RM, it is necessary to submit the jobs with an script. So I am
checkpointing and restarting with the "--shel-job" option. I have
created an script "criu_restore" that performs all the work (prepare
some stuff and the call "criu restore --shell-job ....") , and it
works Ok when executed locally. Just to make clear, interactions in
this first scenario are: user -> criu_restore -> user_script ->
application

However, in order to achieve a full integration with the RM, it would
be necessary to restore from a SSH. Interactions in this second
scenario would be: user -> criu_restore as an SSH command in the
destination machine -> user_script -> application

The problem is that, as stated in the subject, CRIU crashes with the
"tty: Standard stream is not a terminal, aborting " message. Data and
everything else is present (it is in fact doing a ssh to the same
machine, so there is no problem of users/ permissions/ non existing
data / whatever). So the problem obviously comes from executing
"criu_restore" as an ssh command and not directly in the shell by the
user.

Looking at past mails in this list, I have found this one
https://lists.openvz.org/pipermail/criu/2015-October/022777.html  . I
feel that I am doing the same error and it is in fact a newbie
mistake, but I don't know how to solve this or correct what I am doing
wrong.

any help or suggestion?

Thanks for your support. best regards,

Manuel