[CRIU] p.haul python versions?

Tycho Andersen tycho.andersen at canonical.com
Tue Oct 20 10:11:55 PDT 2015

On Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 10:20:35AM +0300, Pavel Emelyanov wrote:
> On 10/20/2015 12:40 AM, Tycho Andersen wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm curious as to what versions of python p.haul will (does) support.
> > I'd like to use the in-tree LXC API, but it is python3 only. I can put
> > some import guards around this and try to protect it, but if p.haul is
> > python3 only then I'll avoid doing that :)
>
> Well, I use 2.7, presumably everybody else at Odin does the same :)
>
> If you think that the easier way to go is to patch p.haul to work on
> python3, you're welcome ;)

Euh. So I don't think it would actually be that hard, but we do need
protobuf (p.haul imports crit, which imports protobufs), and as near
as I can tell, google isn't interested in porting python's protobuf
libraries to python3:

https://github.com/BVLC/caffe/issues/293

it might be possible with some hacks it looks like, but I'd hate to
rely on those. There is an out of tree LXC binding for python2, but it
is not well maintained. I wonder if fork + exec is the best option
here. :(

Tycho