[CRIU] CRIU Queries Live Migration V/S Disk-less Migration

Prashant Chillabatte catchchills at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 08:53:36 PDT 2015

Hello All,

I started using criu from few days back. I have few quires after using CRIU
for few weeks.

I would really appreciate your helping hands on understanding CRIU better.

1st Query:
I failed to understand the difference between the live migration and
disk-less migration.

   In live migration

●Take the snapshot of the process
●Copy them into some shared folders.[involves creating images files of both
memory and context and pasting/dumping at a directory ]

   In disk-less migration

●Take the snapshot of the process
●Transfer the process memory related files[Transfer involves creating
memory image files and pasting/dumping them on the restore side ] ->> this
step looks like same as coping into shared folder in live migration
●Copy process context image files using scp.

   I fail to understand the difference, can someone give a better
understanding of the same.

2nd Query:
I want to know about page-server, what does page-server do?How different it
is from secure copying like scp.

3rd Query:
What does live migration exactly means?
My understanding after using CRIU for few weeks:
■Process running on node 1
■Checkpointthe process
■Restore the process on the 2nd node

And the process/application/service under migration has downtime equivalent
to time elapsed between checkpoint and restore.

Correct me if i am wrong.

Thanks,
Prashanth Chillabatte