[CRIU] procfs reports unexpected mnt_id and path for overlayfs files

Saied Kazemi saied at google.com
Fri May 29 14:29:45 PDT 2015

Hi Miklos,

Is there an update on this patch?  I checked OverlayFS in 4.1-rc5 and
noticed that the issue is still there.

I also observed something interesting/confusing applying this patch to
3.18.  When Docker 1.5 sets up a container, the path into OverlayFS
for a bind mounted file is not visible in /proc/<pid>/mountinfo which
means that the patch has been effective.  But when using Docker 1.7,
the path is visible again.  See below as an example for /etc/hosts:

Using Docker 1.5
# docker run -d busybox:latest ...
# cat /proc/<pid>/mountinfo
123 114 8:2 /docker/containers/<container-id>/hosts /etc/hosts
rw,relatime - ext4 /dev/sda2 rw,data=ordered

Using Docker 1.7
# docker run -d busybox:latest ...
# cat /proc/<pid>/mountinfo
77 68 8:2 /docker/containers/<container-id>/hosts
/sda2/docker/overlay/<container-id>/merged/etc/hosts rw,relatime -
ext4 /dev/sda2 rw,data=ordered

I verified that the mount system call to set up the container's
filesystem is identical between Docker 1.5 and 1.7.  Any idea as to
what may be causing this problem?

--Saied