[CRIU] [RFC] Introduce v1.1 image format

Ruslan Kuprieiev kupruser at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 06:07:39 PDT 2015

On 03/31/2015 03:29 PM, Pavel Emelyanov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Right now we have too many criu-specific file types -- effectively
> every new image file we add is a new "type", we invent a new magic
> number for it and put only it into the header.
>
> One of the difficulty with this approach is that we can't nicely
> teach the "file" utility to spot CRIU-specific files. Too many
> magic should be added and we would have to add new magic numbers
> for every new image type we introduce.

But this patch leaves inventory.img intact, so "file" utility might as
well just be taught
to spot only inventory magic, because our images are spread across directory
anyway.

Do we really need these changes?
This set also adds another level of confusing complexity to our images
structure.
Maybe we should rather suggest focusing on V2 images, to make them
perfect and
not create an intermediate version of non-backward compatible images?