[CRIU] Unable to checkpoint LXC container

Tycho Andersen tycho.andersen at canonical.com
Mon Mar 30 15:02:09 PDT 2015

Hi Ross,

On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 02:15:06PM -0700, Ross Boucher wrote:
> Apologies in advance if I'm asking in the wrong place. I'm trying to follow
> the LXC setup instructions
> from the wiki[1] and not having any luck. When I get to the actual
> checkpoint step, it fails with this output:

I think this is probably best continued on the lxc-users ML, but some
thoughts are below.

>     vagrant at vagrant: $ sudo lxc-checkpoint -D /tmp -v -n u1
>     Checkpointing u1 failed.
>
> I haven't been able to get any other information by setting the log level
> or adding the verbose flag.

There should be a file called dump.log which tells you the error.
However, with current trunk LXC there are some known issues. I've
posted patches for those that need to be merged, but once those land
you may have better luck. (There are still many caveats, one is that
containers using lxcfs are not supported.)

> Running 'criu check --ms' gives me the following output:
>
>     Warn  (cr-check.c:188): Skipping unssuported PR_SET_MM_MAP
>     Warn  (tun.c:58): Skipping tun support check
>     Warn  (timerfd.c:44): timerfd: Skipping timerfd support check
>     Warn  (cr-check.c:296): Skipping mnt_id support check
>     Warn  (cr-check.c:668): Skipping unsupported AIO remap
>     Looks good.
>
> I compiled criu from source, but haven't compiled a custom kernel, which I
> believe is what's causing the
> warnings? Checking my kernel configuration, the flags seem to match what is
> asked for on the wiki[2].
> I was able to get a really simple process checkpointed, following these
> instructions[3].

What kernel version are you using, from what OS?

Tycho