[CRIU] Criu Restore Error

Priyanka Naik prnk.nk1 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 22:31:09 PDT 2015

I m running a sample process on my host machine and dumping it on the host.
If i try to restore the process on the host OS, the process gets restored
back successfully. But now I m tarring my dumped files directory into a
.tgz file and sending it to guest using virtIO serial as the medium of
transfer. The transfer of dumped files take place successfully as I m
checking the hash values of both the files using md5sum. I m untarring it
on guest and trying to restore it back on the guest system but due to some
reasons we are unable to restore it back on the guest system.

Firstly to start the guest we are using following command :

qemu-system-x86_64 -m 1024 -s -hda vdisk.img -kernel
/usr/src/linux-3.17.6/arch/x86_64/boot/bzImage -initrd
/home/priyanka/tmp2/newinitrd.img -append "root=/dev/sda10" -name myguest
-device virtio-serial -chardev socket,path=/tmp/foo,server,nowait,id=foo
-device virtserialport,chardev=foo,name=org.fedoraproject.port.0

Now once we boot the system and type the tty command on the guest we get
/dev/console and if we type tty on host it gives output as /dev/pts/no i.e.
some number associated with that terminal. We checked with the code of
tty.c which has facilities for both PTS and CONSOLE. But we are not getting
the exact reason for criu not working on guest, since we are creating exact
copy of the kernel on host system, the guest should have all the facilities
required for criu since criu is working on host.

And as Cyrill said that we need /dev/ptmx on guest, so it is present. Even
/dev/pts/ptmx is present.

What can be the problems on guest side which will make our project work?
What is exactly going wrong?

Another thing is that to remove restore.log file from guest I need to mount
my vdisk.img. How can I proceed with that?

I used these commands :
modprobe max_parts=8

qemu-nbd -c /dev/nbd0 vdisk.img

partprobe /dev/nbd0