[CRIU] Dealing with VDSO remap

Laurent Dufour ldufour at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri Mar 20 03:54:22 PDT 2015

On 20/03/2015 11:46, Cyrill Gorcunov wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 11:25:40AM +0100, Laurent Dufour wrote:

>>> Just curious. the vdso for ppc64 is rip relative as well?
>>
>> What do you mean by 'rip relative' ?
>
> position independent code, ie you can move it to another place
> and still it will work (for x86-64 it means we're use rIP-relative
> addressing)

Yes that's a PIE piece of code. That's necessary since it is mapped at
different place (randomized) per process and the vDSO's pages are shared
between processes (that's needed to have the data part updated in the
back of each process by the kernel).

By the way, is there an IRC channel somewhere to discuss about CRIU ?