[CRIU] Extraction/restoration of network state only

mark.wohlleben at gmx.de mark.wohlleben at gmx.de
Wed Jul 29 08:11:16 PDT 2015

Dear all,

I am currently working on a project involving the migration of running http sessions among a number of instances of webservers for the purpose of load balancing. I am very excited about criu, which could be used for the job, however dumps a lot of state that I actually do not need and that renders my use case inefficient. What I actually want is to extract the state of a TCP socket + the state of the HTTP session and restore the whole session (TCP+HTTP) on a different machine.

Thus, I was thinking about reusing the network part of criu in my webserver project. My first idea was to include the sk-inet.h, as the two methods

extern int dump_one_tcp(int sk, struct inet_sk_desc *sd);
extern int restore_one_tcp(int sk, struct inet_sk_info *si);

seem to do what I want.

However, before I start walking into the wrong direction, I would like to ask for some advice from someone knowing the code.

Best regards and thanks for your efforts,
Mark Wohlleben