[CRIU] Suspend entire X session

Justin Garrison justinleegarrison at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 15:08:07 PST 2015

I just learned about criu this weekend and immediately thought of a use
case for myself.

I would like to suspend the entire X session to disk, run a lot of HPC
workloads with high CPU and RAM requirements for 10-12 hours (possibly from
runlevel 3), and then restore the X session. I saw in the usage scenarios
it wouldn't work for specific applications but would it be possible for the
entire X session? I also saw the note about dump/restore of apps connected
to an Xserver not being possible but I don't know if it would be any
different when dumping the entire Xserver.

Does anyone have experience doing this or know if it would/wouldn't work?
Thanks

--
Justin Garrison