[CRIU] [RFC] Future CRIU releases

Pavel Emelyanov xemul at parallels.com
Fri Dec 18 10:12:42 PST 2015

On 12/18/2015 08:43 PM, Saied Kazemi wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 18, 2015 at 9:05 AM, Pavel Emelyanov <xemul at parallels.com <mailto:xemul at parallels.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 12/17/2015 09:18 PM, Saied Kazemi wrote:
>     > I also agree that having fixed dates for stable releases is good and we
>     > should continue doing it.
>
>     OK :)
>
>     > Regarding faster access to newly implemented features, how about a separate
>     > "channel" called beta or dev that releases weekly (or at will)?  New features
>     > are introduced in this channel and, after they've been qualified for a few
>     > weeks, move to the stable channel.  This is like what OS distros such as
>     > CoreOS do (they actually have three channels: alpha, beta, stable; visit
>     > https://coreos.com/releases/).
>
>     Hm... Do you know whether they do those releases from one repo, or constantly
>     move only the good stuff from alfa to beta and then to stable?
>

> I'm pretty sure all releases come from the same repo, but different branches.  New
> features are committed to master and then cherry picked onto alpha, beta, and stable.

Ah, I see. My question was whether they just tag master branch with next alfa/bete
release and after stabilization period tag the stable one, but now it's clear that
they migrate features between branches.

> Does a two-branch scheme (dev and stable) work for CRIU?

That's a good question which I'm trying to figure out :) So far I've seen that it
was not that easy to distinguish one feature from another in terms of commit IDs,
so cherry-picking a feature from master/dev branch into stable one would be quite
a challenge.

Back-porting the tempting stuff from HEAD to "v1.${latest}-stable" branch could be
done with the help of feature owner, though.