[CRIU] [RFC] Future CRIU releases

Pavel Emelyanov xemul at parallels.com
Fri Dec 18 08:42:13 PST 2015

On 12/17/2015 07:51 PM, Tycho Andersen wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 03:23:32PM +0300, Pavel Emelyanov wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> We've been playing the time-driven releases model for the past
>> year and, at some sense, succeeded. However, it seems like the
>> strict dates that were chosen were not 100% comfortable for all
>> the parties.
>>
>> Also there sometimes appeared the need to have some "quite new"
>> functionality early (or -- during the one week feature freeze
>> period) and waiting till the next release was also not nice.
>>
>> So this e-mail is a call for comments -- shall we continue the
>> once-a-season releases as we do now, should we slightly fix it
>> (e.g. by formalizing the -stable branches) or should we change
>> it completely?
>
> I like the fixed date release because it forces us to release stuff.
> My experience is that everyone wants to wait for "one more bug fix" if
> we don't have a timed release.

+1 :)

> One solution to the "wait for next release" problem is just to release
> more often, once every 1-2 months maybe instead of once every three
> months?

Heh, we've once been thrown away from Debian due to "fast moving
target, too hard to keep up". How do you chose the release dates
in LXC/LXD?

> Of course, it's easy for me to suggest this since I don't have
> to do any work maintaining releases :)
>
> Another option would be to adjust the dates slightly, say Feb 1, May
> 1, August 1, Nov 1, which would perhaps align (or not align) with
> holidays slightly better.

The beginning of May is almost continuous raw of holidays in Russia :)
The current months were chosen deliberately not to clash with big
holidays neither in Russia nor in US...