[CRIU] OverlayFS Patch

Gabriel Guimaraes guimaraesg at google.com
Mon Aug 3 13:27:07 PDT 2015

Hi Pavel,

I believe Saied has already talked to you about this patch. It enables the
--overlayfs flag in CRIU which compensates for the OverlayFS bug in the
Linux Kernel before version 4.2 (more about the bug at
http://criu.org/Docker). More detailed information can be found in the
patch itself.

We did not implement a very sophisticated error checking mechanism, so an
error such as "buffer too small" within __lookup_overlayfs will be printed
but won't necessarily make CRIU abort. If you'd like, we can change that,
but in my opinion this would make the code a lot more complicated with few
gains, since it's already easy to debug what error happened as is.

Best,
Gabriel