[CRIU] Checkpointing with active ICMP sockets?

Vangelis Tasoulas vangelis at simula.no
Mon Apr 27 08:12:25 PDT 2015

Hello,

I am experimenting with the lxc checkpoint and restore functionality.
I followed this guide:
http://tycho.ws/blog/2014/09/container-migration.html and I am able to
checkpoint and restore a container on the same machine (I haven't
bothered with migration functionality yet).
However, if I SSH into the container and start pinging another host, the
dump is failing with the error: "Unknown pair family 2 proto 1"

Pair family id 2 belongs to AF_INET and proto id 1 belongs to the
IPPROTO_ICMP
(http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/include/uapi/linux/in.h#L29).
That makes sense since I am pinging, and ping is using ICMP packets.

As I see in the function get_collect_bit_nr() (located in the
criu/sockets.c) that raises this dump error, IPPROTO_ICMP is indeed not
handled.
Only IPPROTO_TCP, IPPROTO_UDP and IPPROTO_UDPLITE are present, but not
IPPROTO_ICMP.

Are there any specific reasons why ICMP isn't supported by CRIU yet, or
is this just a "bug"?

Vangelis