[CRIU] checkpointing a docker container and restoring the process to a new container

Ross Boucher rboucher at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 13:21:47 PDT 2015

Hey everyone,

I've gotten a bit further along in my project and run into a new issue.
Right now, to make my system work, I name my docker containers and keep
them around. But since they're all (essentially) identical, I'd like to
just delete them and create new ones as needed. So, I'm working on
checkpointing a container, and then later restoring the image files into a
new container.

This seems to half work. Here's a dump and restore log from two separate
containers (I included the args sent to criu):

dump: https://gist.github.com/boucher/9cc5a952a82c8f8b01b5
restore: https://gist.github.com/boucher/ffb6699353e01a09dff5

Criu reports that the restore worked successfully, but after the restore
the new container/process immediately dies (the process itself is just a
simple bash script that echoes in a loop forever). No errors are printed
anywhere by docker or criu that I can find.

The only information I have to go on right now is the exit code (141), and
the logs. My hunch is that it has to do with the cgroup info in the image
files, since the id of the original container (03cc978e3d29....) is making
its way into the restore log as well.

I appreciate any suggestions. I'm going to be playing around with
--cgroup-root next to see if I can make that work.

- Ross