[CRIU] Options when restoring a socket

Ross Boucher rboucher at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 18:48:08 PDT 2015

Hey everyone,

I've been trying to figure out both what happens when you checkpoint an
open socket and what my options are for restoring that socket (or maybe
doing something else at that point in time). It might be best to just
describe the program I have and what I want to accomplish.

I have two programs communicating over a socket. Program A opens a socket
and listens for connections, and then program B connects to it. They
essentially exchange messages forever in a pattern something like:

A -> B send next message
B -> A ok, here's the next message

Obviously, in between, A performs some actions. The goal is to checkpoint A
after each message is processed and before the next is received (while
leaving the process running), so that we can restore to any previous state
and reprocess possibly changed messages.

It's completely fine for our use case to have to re-establish that socket
connection, we don't actually need or want to try and magically use the
same socket (since program B has probably moved on to other things in
between).

Is this a use case for a criu plugin? I've tried playing around with the
ext-unix-sk flag but I haven't quite figured anything out yet.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

-Ross