[CRIU] performance of leave-running/prev-images-dir

Pavel Emelyanov xemul at parallels.com
Fri Apr 10 14:06:39 PDT 2015

On 04/10/2015 11:01 PM, Ross Boucher wrote:
> I'm a bit unsure of whether or not specifying prev-images-dir is supposed to decrease the time
> to checkpoint, without specifying --track-memory.

Dump with only the --prev-images-dir will have no effect on the dump right now.
This option only makes sense with either the --track-mem or the pre-dump action.

> In my very quick tests it seems to take about as long with as without.
>
> I'm guessing --track-memory is not intended to be used if you want to leave the process running
> for a long period of time?

Well, it can be. Tasks rarely touch _all_ its memory, but the longer task runs
after dump the more memory will get changed, yes.

These options' combinations is described here, btw:
http://criu.org/Memory_dumping_and_restoring#Advanced_C.2FR