[CRIU] Restoring the state of a crashed Java process

Balakrishnan Chandrasekaran balac at cs.duke.edu
Fri Sep 12 17:33:17 PDT 2014

Hi all,

I came across this project just recently, and am impressed with criu. I want to thank all contributors and for keeping it open.

I am trying to run through some examples and understand how to use criu. I ran a simple experiment with a Java program that maintains a couple of TCP connections with another on the same machine. I took a checkpoint using criu while the connection was open; no data was being exchanged over the connection. If I let the process stop after the checkpointing, I can recover and continue to run the program. However, I let the process run, using the '-R' option, and try to recover the process from the checkpoint after is crashes (by throwing a RuntimeException), it doesn't work. I encountered the following error --

--------
ip6tables: Bad rule (does a matching rule exist in that chain?).
Error (util.c:576): exited, status=1
Error (netfilter.c:69): Iptables configuration failed: No such file or directory
ip6tables: Bad rule (does a matching rule exist in that chain?).
Error (util.c:576): exited, status=1
Error (netfilter.c:69): Iptables configuration failed: No such file or directory
09-12-2014 05:25:33.239 ERROR [CPlaneHandler] Connection reset by peer
09-12-2014 05:25:33.244 INFO  [AppLoader] Control plane is shutdown
09-12-2014 05:25:33.246 INFO  [AppLoader] Data plane is shutdown
bala at galvatron:~/legosdn$ Write failed: Broken pipe
--------

Can someone help with resolving this issue? Or, at least tell me, that this is a bad use case for criu, to start with... I do not know much about checkpointing/restore and treating criu as a blackbox, so far, and hence, any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bala