[CRIU] system configuration for dumping/restoring LXC

Krystof Zmudzinski krystof_zmudzinski at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 11 10:50:45 PDT 2014

The bottom line is that I can dump but I can't restore.  I'm still confused how rootfs should be used.  I still would like to know what your system configuration was in the example described on CRIU/LXC.  I'm using 64-bit Ubuntu desktop 14.04 but I'm willing to switch to whatever worked for you.  Same goes for the LXC tools.

Krystof

The following are some of the steps I performed to get to that point:
1. apt-get install lxc installs bridge and changes interfaces file (there are no ifcfg-* files in Ubuntu) it also installs lxcbr0 instead of br0.
2. lxc-checkconfig shows everything is enabled so mounting cgroup is not required
3. lxc-create -t ubuntu -n cn_01 and lxc-start -n cn_01 work
4. I downloaded centos-6-x86_64.tar.gz and extracted it to /root/test-lxc
5. I copied the test-lxc.conf and fstab from the website.
6. lxc-create -n test-lxc -f test-lxc.conf fails; there is no specific error but I'm assuming it is because of the wrong rootfs = /root/test-lxc-root
7. When I created /root/test-lxc-root I was able to create the container but it wouldn't start
8. When I changed rootfs to /root/test-lxc, I was able to create the container and to start it
9. lxc-stop took a long time to stop the container
10. Since I didn't have to execute mount --bind test-lxc test-lxc-root/ to run the container I thought that maybe that step should be executed with original configuration but before the container is created so I destroyed the container
11. I restored test-lxc.conf to what is on the website, restored test-lxc folder, created test-lxc-root and executed mount --bind test-lxc test-lxc-root/
12. I created the container again and it worked this time
13. I started the container and it also worked
14. However, this time, after lxc-attach -n test-lxc, mount produced this output:
/dev/disk/by-uuid/a1b2c830-cce3-4373-a598-9702ef6d8f69 on / type ext4 (rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro,data=ordered)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,relatime,mode=600,ptmxmode=000)
none on /proc type proc (rw,relatime)
none on /sys type sysfs (rw,relatime)
none
 on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,relatime)
none on /dev type tmpfs (rw,relatime,mode=755)
none on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw,relatime)

While originally it only produced this:
/dev/disk/by-uuid/a1b2c830-cce3-4373-a598-9702ef6d8f69 on / type ext4 (rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro,data=ordered)
none on /proc type proc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
none on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
none on /dev type tmpfs (rw,relatime,mode=755)
none on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw,relatime)

15. lxc-stop still takes long time

16. Installing criu-1.3
17. apt-get
install libprotobuf-dev libprotoc-dev protobuf-c-compiler libprotobuf-c0
libprotobuf-c0-dev
18. make
19. cd test/app-emu/lxc
20. /run.sh test-lxc produces an error:
Name:           test-lxc
State:          RUNNING
PID:            25189
CPU use:        0.64 seconds
BlkIO use:      56.00 KiB
Memory use:     8.33 MiB
KMem use:       0 bytes
Link:           vethJ8MR0R
 TX bytes:      648 bytes
 RX bytes:      4.18 KiB
 Total bytes:   4.81 KiB
The CT's "init" process has PID of
kill: usage: kill [-s sigspec | -n signum | -sigspec] pid | jobspec ... or kill -l [sigspec]
root at se:~/criu-1.3/test/app-emu/lxc#

21. I changed pid to PID in  pid=$(lxc-info --name $name | awk '/PID:/ { print $2 }')
22. This time I got: bridge br0 does not exist!
23. I edited network-script.sh accordingly
24.  Dump doesn't work.  See attached dump1.log.
25. So I went back to the way I originally created the container.  I changed rootfs in test-lxc.conf to /root/test-lxc
26. I created the container and started it and I was able to dump it; see attached dump2.log
27 However, the restore hangs.  ps a shows these processes but there is no init; see attached restore.log

  413 pts/1    S+     0:00 /bin/bash ./run.sh test-lxc
  498 pts/1    S+     0:00 /root/criu-1.3/criu restore --evasive-devices --tcp-e
  499 pts/1    t+     0:00 /root/criu-1.3/criu restore --evasive-devices --tcp-e