[CRIU] system configuration for dumping/restoring LXC

Andrey Wagin avagin at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 23:59:08 PDT 2014

Hi Krystof,

I added criu at openvz.org in CC

> Andrew,
>
> I've spent some time trying to build a system, which would allow me to
> dump and restore a Linux container using criu.  I started by reading
> instructions on this page LXC <http://criu.org/LXC> but the information
> seems buggy.  For example, test-lxc.conf has these 2 seemingly incompatible
> lines in it:
> lxc.mount = /root/test-lxc/etc/fstab
> lxc.rootfs = /root/test-lxc-root/
>
> So is the rootfs in /root/test-lxc or /root/test-lxc-root>

It can't be buggy, because I have copied this config from my test node. I
think you can use  /root/test-lxc and don't bind-mount /root/test-lxc
to /root/test-lxc-root, but you will need to do this bind-mount to restore
the CT.

> When I tried executing lxc-create -n test-lxc -f test-lxc.conf with the
> configuration as presented on that page, lxc-create failed.  When I changed
> rootfs to /root/test-lxc everywhere, it worked.  I was even able to dump
> the container using the criu-1.3 but restore never worked.  That was on
> Ubuntu 14.04.  When I switched to Fedora 20, even dump didn't work.

If you are able to dump the CT, you must able to restore it. If you can't
to do that, it's bug and we are ready to fix it. So could you show how you
execute criu and logs from "criu dump" and "criu restore"?