[CRIU] Standard stream is not terminal

Sanidhya Kashyap sanidhya.gatech at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 09:21:42 PDT 2014

On 09/01/2014 11:52 AM, Cyrill Gorcunov wrote:
> Why are we playing with -j option at all? AFAIU Sanidhya is trying to dump
> the whole service which should be self contained and doesn't require this one.
> Am I wrong?

Hi Pavel,

Actually, you are correct about the service. But, I am also
checkpointing a process and then rebooting the system. After that, I am
trying to restore that particular process at the startup via script.
That is I am using criu restore as a service to restore the process. I
will try to do this for the service as well. That is why if I try to
dump a process / service that is attached to tty, then I will need a way
to get a new tty for that, since I have not created any terminal from my
side.

> We require stdin to be a terminal to inherit it when we're migrating pty. Look,
> at moment of restore we don't know yet if we would need pty to migrate or
> not so we're reserving stdin (which might not be even needed eventually).
> Otherwise we will have to read tty images early and do a complete analisys
> if tty will require migration procedure or not. That's simply how it's done
> at the moment.
>
> Thus no, there is no other option at the moment, you need to provide
> us real tty which we could reuse. Probably we could do a trick --
> defer determination if stdio is tty until we really need it.
>
> I'm not really sure how criu is integrated into startup service,
> Sanidhya mind to provide more details please?
@Cryrill: I have mentioned above about the way I am trying to do it.
Actually, I want to dump the process/service, reboot the system and then
restore the process/service. I'll try your patch and see whether it
works or not.

Thanks,
Sanidhya