[CRIU] p.haul and lxc

Ruslan Kuprieiev kupruser at gmail.com
Fri Nov 14 04:43:24 PST 2014

On 14.11.2014 11:09, Pavel Emelyanov wrote:
> On 11/14/2014 01:06 AM, Tycho Andersen wrote:
>> Finally, a minor conceptual change is that it would be nice to be able to set
>> up the channel that p.haul communicates over (e.g. a TLS socket or so), vs.
>> just having p.haul do a connect() over a raw socket. If nothing else, I think
>> we can just implement some other version of the `rpc_proxy` class to do this.
> Yes, Ruslan is working on it. He implemented the ssh tunnel, but I agree, that
> there should be an option to use the pre-established channel.

I could make my ssh wrapper
<https://github.com/efiop/p.haul/blob/ssh_bash/p.haul-ssh> use
pre-established ssh connection using
multiplexing as it uses it anyway =).

I've mentioned before, that we have a problem there with the current
page-server
implementation. It uses _plain_ socket and low level stuff like
splice(), which makes
it impossible to use ssl or ssh  wrappers(you can't just get fd and
write() to it).
So currently we should use some kind of local proxy to make p.haul write to
local tcp socket(can't use socketpair. as they are 2 unix sockets and
splice() doesn't
support them) and redirect it outside.
Maybe we should consider making criu transfer _all_ images(not only
pages) and
use a ssl inside. Even though i'm not sure that we should use criu to
transfer something
at all. I mean, if it is made to checkpoint\restore stuff, why make it
deal with transferring?
Especially when there are a lot of feature-rich utilities that deal with
transferring much
better(even though page-server is faster =)).