[CRIU] RAW sockets checkpoint/restore

Pavel Emelyanov xemul at parallels.com
Thu Jan 9 06:50:40 PST 2014

On 01/09/2014 06:43 PM, Alexander Kolesen wrote:
> Hello CRIU team,
>
> I have a couple of apps would be good to be able to checkpoint/restore,
> which are use RAW ICMP sockets.
>
> So my question is - do you have any plans to provide
> a monitoring interface for RAW sockets
> (either in your kernel fork or in upstream kernel)?

There's such already -- the /proc/net/raw and /proc/net/raw6 files.

I think the best way is to start with them. If there's something missing
in there, then we will have to extend the API (by writing the sock-diag
extension for raw).

Another option would be to extend CRIU tool to call plugins when meeting
unknown socket and writing a plugin that knows exactly what sockets your
app works with. This way if faster (you don't need to wait for new kernel)
but less preferable.

> Perhaps, it's already implemented somewhere -
> so could you please poke me into the patchset in this case?
>
> Thanks!

Thanks,
Pavel