[CRIU] Name resolved on unconnected socket

Pavel Emelyanov xemul at parallels.com
Mon Feb 24 23:50:19 PST 2014

On 02/24/2014 05:55 PM, Inti Gonzalez-Herrera wrote:

> On 24 February 2014 14:34, Pavel Emelyanov <xemul at parallels.com <mailto:xemul at parallels.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 02/24/2014 05:06 PM, Inti Gonzalez-Herrera wrote:
>     > I am wondering:
>     > Is it possible to write a plugin to handle such sockets?
>
>     I think it's pretty possible to write a generic-level plugin for sockets,
>     so that one could provide callbacks for dumping and restoring sockets in
>     any states.
>
>     Thinking more about it, I think that it makes perfect sense to extend the
>     existing "ext-files" plugins, so that we have "layered" callbacks.
>
>     0. dump fd
>     1. `- dump generic fd
>     2.    `- dump generic inet socket
>     3.    `- dump generic unix socket
>     4.         `- dump external unix socket
>     5. `- dump external fd
>
>     Right now we have only 4 and 5, right now we can add 2 to let you handle
>     your case.
>

> It would be nice this solution, even if you offer the approach with the fake FIN. It
> solves the problem and it also let me play with CRIU.

I see. OK, we'll try to find time on this. However, if you are able to help
with any part (e.g. plugins, they are pretty easy) this would speed things up.

>     > I mean, I know the application won't use the sockets again, so I just want to discard them.
>
>     So it looks like you have a BUG in the application -- the socket never gets
>     closed, right?
>

> Yes, I think so. However, it is not my application. That's way I cannot handle it by myself. In fact,

I see. By the way, you can consider using the CRIU's exec action [1] to close the bad socket
in advance. This can be a temporary workaround for your problem.

> I know the people who is developing it; but I am working with an older version. BTW, I have seen a lot
> of comments on Internet about CLOSE_WAIT. Maybe it is a problem in JDK because the people complain
> about it when they talk about webserver and stuff like that.

Thanks,
Pavel

[1] http://criu.org/Remote_syscall_execution