[CRIU] lxc /dev

Serge Hallyn serge.hallyn at ubuntu.com
Mon Aug 4 08:24:36 PDT 2014

Quoting Pavel Emelyanov (xemul at parallels.com):
> On 08/04/2014 06:20 PM, Serge Hallyn wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > http://criu.org/LXC says that lxc has a "BUG" in how it sets up its /dev.
> > My question is, what "BUG" is this referring to?  At some point in the
> > past, for a very brief time, lxc did in fact mount a devtmpfs in the
> > container, which is very clearly a bug.  If that is what this is referring
> > to, and the note is just out of date, then that's great.
>
> I believe it was the devtmpfs issue. We noticed that everybody connecting
> to /dev/log socket got connected to the same host-side daemon. IIRC the
> investigation lead us to the /dev being shared filesystem with /dev/log
> being also shared between containers :)

Yeah, that was a bad bug.  However, that was reverted in October 2012, so
hopefully noone has setups like this any more.

Currently, with several setups you will get /dev/lxc/$lxcpath/$container/
bind-mounted onto the container's /dev.  I wanted to make sure that that
was not causing any issues.  Sounds like no, if /dev/log was the real
problem.